Many of our customers with older Rolex watches ask if we can replace their acrylic crystals with synthetic sapphire crystals, like the ones that Rolex uses on their new watches. Although every watch in Rolex’s current catalog is now fitted with a sapphire crystal, Rolex does not manufacture sapphire crystals for use on older watches. Instead, they will only replace a worn or damaged acrylic crystal with another acrylic crystal.
The shape of the crystal is different…
The outer diameter is […]
Simply put, some Rolex watches are too damaged to repair in a practical and cost-effective manner. Depending on what has happened to a watch and the extent of the resulting damage, some Rolex watches may require extensive repairs and a large number of replacement parts. In some instances, the cost of repairs may exceed the total value of the damaged watch. Consequently, not every Rolex repair story has a happy ending.
Every watch is different, and the art of Rolex watch […]
As an element, gold is naturally a soft and malleable, yellow-colored metal. Pure gold (24 karat) is too soft for most watch and jewelry applications, so other metals and/or elements are added to the gold to increase its hardness and durability.
18 karat gold is a concentration of 75% gold, and 25% other metals/elements. The 75% gold content ensures that the gold alloy will have all of the desirable properties of pure gold, while the other 25% allows the metal to […]
One of the questions that we frequently get asked by our customers is, “why doesn’t my Rolex glow anymore, and is there anything that can be done to make it glow again?” In most instances, an older watch no longer glows due to limitations of the manufacturing materials that Rolex was using at the time of production.
Contemporary Rolex watches (like the one pictured below) use a photo-luminescent material on their dials and hands, which means that modern watches will glow […]
Recently, we overhauled a vintage Rolex Day-Date President for a customer who had accidentally reached a bit too close to an active grinding wheel while working in his tool shed. As you can see in the photograph that was taken before service, the top, left lug of the watch received a substantial gouge in the metal that required a significant amount of gold to be resupplied.
The enlarged photo below shows the extent of the damage, and just how much metal […]
One of the few things that can render a Rolex movement beyond repair is moisture. Unlike electronic devices, moisture damage in mechanical watches is not caused by the instantaneous presence of a conducting liquid. Rather, the damage results from the rust and corrosion that takes place after the movement has been exposed to a liquid.
Most contemporary watches have cases made from highly corrosion-resistant materials; however their delicate movements inside do not share this quality. Even a small amount of moisture […]
The Yacht-Master is unique in the Rolex sport watch lineup. It, alone, has a bezel entirely made of either 18k yellow gold, like the above ladies watch, or platinum. Most polishers will not attempt to restore one to “like new” condition, nor should they. We constantly receive Yachts that have been over polished and, in essence, destroyed. Which is unfortunate, because replacing the insert costs thousands of dollars.
This watch, fortunately, had only a lightly distressed bezel.
The refinishing of a […]
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) refers to replacement parts that are manufactured by the manufacturer of the original part or component. When we say that we only use factory OEM parts, we mean that only parts manufactured and distributed by Rolex are used in the repair of your Rolex. Rolex has spent millions of dollars on research and development to refine, and better, every aspect of their movements. The type of materials used, as well as the manufacturing process itself, is […]
Some watches tell a story of the owner. This couldn’t be more true of the watch we received for repair from Col. Smith.
The internal repairs and cosmetic damage proved too much of a financial burden for him, so we started discussing the option of a trade, which presented some difficulties. The watch, you see, held considerable sentimental value for the Colonel. It, after all, had saved his life.
Col. Smith’s two-tone Rolex Submariner had been on his wrist through multiple […]
One of the many reasons Rolex owners choose The Watch Buyers Group for the proper repair of their Rolex watch is that, while we only use factory Rolex parts in servicing a watch, we don’t have the same strict rules about working on watches with non-Rolex parts. A Rolex with custom additions is considered a fake watch, in the eyes of Rolex. They won’t service a watch with any custom parts. This presents a major issue for thousands of Rolex […]